Saturday, March 21, 2009

Organic Growers School

Publish Post
I spent the day at one of my most favorite events of the year, the Organic Growers School, in Flat Rock, NC. I started going about 5 years ago and it has become an annual tradition. There is nothing better to get me excited and inspired for the growing season.

This year I enjoyed a basics of vegetable gardening class which was full of new information even though I have planted a veggie garden every year for the past decade. I also got a ton of info from a cover crops for gardens class.

I rounded out the days schedule with a pasture pork class and a backyard chicken class. I figured the pork class would be a good idea since our 3 pigs are getting here in 2 weeks (!). And the chicken class was full of great info that will help us in building our new chicken coop this week to house our new flock of 32 chickens.

All in all, a wonderful day spent with hundreds of other folks from the SE interested in gardening, sustainable agriculture, livestock, farming, and homesteading. I have the option to go back tomorrow for 4 more classes, but I think that the "doing" side of homesteading may require me to stay home and get dirty.

2 comments:

Sweet Mess said...

OOOOoooh!
Can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow. Maybe we should make donuts and talk garden? Or maybe we should get straight to work. hmmmmm...
Thanks for taking one for the team.

Lisa said...

Wow! That sounds so cool! Wish we had something like it around here!