Tuesday, August 16, 2011

big changes


It is official... all 3 Carmona kids will be going to school this year. The girls started talking about their desire to give it a try last spring. I thought that maybe the idea would just fade away during the summer, but I was wrong. They became more sure and their stated reasons for why they would want to attend school became more difficult to argue. So they went on a tour of the local schools and we registered soon after. Today we went to meet the teachers and they will have their first day on Thursday. They are so excited and just a little nervous. We have been in a bustle of making sure we have the supplies from their lists, along with socks and undies and good shoes. Gita will be going to Black Mountain Primary (she always says "Blackberry Primary." cute name) and her 1st grade teacher is Mrs Wells. Nimuae will be going to Black Mountain Elementary and her 5th grade teacher is Mr. O'Shea. Noah will be attending Owen High School as a freshman. They will all ride the bus to and from school ~

I knew I had to face my collection of homeschool curriculum. And I knew that packing it up would not be easy. I spent a day sorting through everything, what to keep and what to pass on, until I had everything filed away, nice and neat, ready just in case any girls decide they would rather be back at home. It was a highly emotional day ~ I felt like I was boxing up forgotten dreams. But the idea of school is growing on me. I will re-arrange my work schedule to make sure I am home everyday to meet them at the bus and eat a snack together and talk about our days. I will be there for homework and I will make sure everyone gets as many hugs and kisses as they need. It is just a really big change ~ I have been homeschooling for 10 years and I was ready to go another 10. But, on Thursday, I will be sending the girls off to another teacher, with lots of kids their own ages, to learn. Big big changes.


3 comments:

David said...

sniff sniff....
at least we have each other for this next adventure in parenting

<3

Sweet Mess said...

I got all teary reading that, and then to read David's comment... sniff sniff x2.

You will have to change your status to just homesteading-fun loving now... Your kids are some of the most self assured, bright, kids I know~ and I think it is because of the way you parent. Letting them make this choice (despite your heart)is one of these parenting choices that will allow them to feel confident and heard.
cheers to new and unexpected blessings with school!

Kathleen said...

Well, I was already in tears after seeing Kelcey's last painting, and now this just put me over the top! The dog and cat are concerned;) Love you so much! So grateful for all you have accomplished and taught me.
Love,
Neigh Neigh