Friday, March 14, 2008

the Sunshine State

The Carmonas are in Florida for a much needed, totally impromptu beach vacation!

We are staying at a vacation house of our dear friends who invited us to use the house in between other vacationers. So we packed up the family van and drove 7 hours to Fernandina Beach on the Atlantic side of northern Florida.

We spent yesterday on the beach (70* and sunny). Being a bit out of touch with the risk of sunburn (still winter in the mountains),
we forgot the sunscreen and now David is being called lobster boy.

Today we went to Fort Clinch State Park and toured the fort that was built in the Civil War. We had a lovely moment of education with a very loud (and old) living history solider who was ready to enlist Noah as a drummer boy and Nimuae as a wash lady.

A hike on a nature trail in the park put me face to face with a very fercocious looking (although harmless, I'm sure) armadillo. In my defense, I was a bit on edge after passing a few "Aligator Crossing" signs. I'm sure my reaction will live clear in David's memory as another example of one of the ways I'm becomming my mom.



....the many joys of vacationing




1 comment:

alcarmona said...

So great to see you guys enjoying your vacation in Florida. What a beautiful family. Al Carmona