Friday, June 13, 2008

Vanishing June



This is one of those times on the calendar that I knew was coming, but now that it is here I wonder how time is slipping away so quickly.

When we made the plans to have our annual beach trip at the beginning of the month and then head in the opposite direction for 10 days in Maine in the middle of the month, I did not quite think through all the work that would entail. So now we are in that middle place in between the two trips and I feel far too busy. But I suppose the Maine vacation will be even sweeter if I feel that I really need a break!

We packed up the van and headed to the coast of South Carolina last weekend for a long weekend of camping and beaching. We left the mountain Thursday morning to embark on the 5 hour drive down from the mountains and to the coast. We spent 3 nights and 4 days enjoying the most beautiful beach weather we could have asked for.

And the most amazing part was that my 4 bottles of bugspray (there was no way I was going to be in South Carolina for more than a second without an arsenal of bug repellent) did not even get unpacked! There was not a single mosquito on Hunting Island.

Or if there was, there must have been sweeter meat somewhere else in the campground because they were nowhere near us!


The first night we were there, we witnessed a seemingly prehistoric turtle make the sloowww journey from the sea to the beach to lay her eggs. This mama was seriously covered in moss and barnacles! The ranger said that they get about 60 "nests" a year on the island.


No matter how many times we re-applied sunblock, the kids still came back pink as roses!

No comments: