Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cupcakes, Calzones, Pesto, and Mohitos

After a long day in town on Friday, I felt inspired to put my kitchen to another domestic goddess test. Would it be possible to bake 24 cupcakes for the party we were going to the next night...and since the oven would be on for the first time in weeks, shouldn't I also make calzones for supper?......and the basil in the garden is very ready to made into pesto.......and after buying a bag of limes on super sale at the grocery store, I had images of mohitos floating through my brain. Could I do it? Could my kitchen handle the challenge of baking, cooking, drink making, and processing the harvest...all at the same time. After some encouraging words from Kelcey (who really wanted in on the pesto and mohito action) I threw on the apron and started the magic!

The cupcakes (chocolate with cream cheese filling) turned out spectacular....

Sausage and garden fresh basil and tomato calzones were made even better with a spoonful of fresh pesto on top.....

We made about 9 batches of pesto before running out of nuts and oil....with plenty of basil to await a trip to the grocery store.....

and it was all fueled by mohitos....muddled mint fresh from the garden, plus equal parts fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and rum......the perfect summer cocktail!

So my kitchen was buzzing with activity while the family ate yummies and watched the Olympic Opening Ceremony. I am so proud of my kitchen that I designed and helped build. It is perfect! And it inspires me to take domestic goddess challenges. What more could I ask for from a kitchen?

No comments: